汉泽英难点解析:评价,疑虑和问询十一

来源:微学网发布时间:2012-01-06
   51.沉重的包袱 a millstone around one’s neck
  他一直打算出国留学,可是年迈的老母亲以及妻子和孩子成了他的沉重包袱。
  He’s been thinking of furthering his studies abroad but, his aged mother, his wife and the children all become a millstone around his neck.
  52.理亏 be in the wrong
  他承认那是他的不是,而且也向你表示了歉意,你为什么还要对他如此的不依不饶呢?
  He admitted he was in the wrong and had already expressed his apology. But why should you still come down on him like a ton of bricks?
  53.除非太阳打西边出来 till gigs can fly
  想让我嫁给他那号人? 除非太阳打西边出来。
  Want me to marry a person of his sort? Till pigs can fly.
  54.宽容大度 turn the other cheek
  当你得知别人在背后说了你的坏话时,要做到对这个人宽容大度是很难的。
  When you know that someone spoke evil of you behind your back, it would be very difficult to turn the other cheek to him.
  55.赞扬某人sing someone’s praises.
  你为什么老是赞扬那个家伙?我认为他不值得你称赞
  Why should you always sing that guy’s praises? I don’t think he deserves all your praise